Winners and prize-holders speak
Veronika Chumikova (Russia), 57 kg, 1st place:
- I want to dedicate my victory to my parents! Today I psych up as never before! In the final the scariest thing for me was that the opponent would make a double leg takedown. Physically I felt that I was stronger. I performed all my moves, I did what I had to do. My tactics is - when I am on the carpet, I impose my way of wrestling. When the score was 6-0, I tried to hold the advantage and not to be passive. At the end of the final bout, I got scared when my opponent took a grip, I thought to myself: “I’ll throw her myself, or she will. I didn’t take a risk, because the coach texted me not to do anything stupid! I was injured in Sweden, and I had a break for 5 months. I have recovered and now I’m ready to fight everyone.
Nachyn Kuular (Russia, Krasnoyarsk Territory), 3rd place, 65 kg:
- Of course, I felt a great support from the fans today. Homeland helps! This is the fifth time I am performing at the Yarygin tournament, and for the fifth time the gold medal is “passing me by”. This is very disappointing. I made a little tactical mistake - and paid for it. The Olympic race has begun, so now I will prepare for the Russian championship, where I will try to qualify for the Games.
Kurban Shiraev (Russia), 1st place, 65 kg:
- This is the most important victory in my career at the moment. Yarygin tournament is a serious competition. I wanted to win. Today I was sure that I could. It was difficult: my opponent in the finals was the Olympic champion, Soslan Ramonov, he moved very well. Of course, I want to go to the European Championship, I will wait for the decision of the coaching staff. I hope they approve me.
Alan Khugaev (Russia), 125 kg, 3rd place:
- Year by year, it is becoming increasingly difficult to fight. New guys appear, young, talented. This year, because of the Olympics, the situation in the team is heating up: now you have to win everything you can, so that you are considered as a candidate for participation in the Olympic Games in Tokyo.
Baldan Tsyzhipov (Russia), 125 kg, 1st place:
- I know my opponent in the finals very well: we have already fought with him many times. Today, it took me a long time to psych up for a decisive bout, and the luck was on my side. The second period was crucial, when I took 4 points, everything went differently there. I knew that if you just stand during the fight, then nothing will happen, so I decided to go ahead.